The Vosburgh Stakes can work two methods so far as the Breeders’ Cup goes. At a seven-furlong distance, it will possibly assist a candidate for the World Championships at Santa Anita prep for the Qatar Racing Breeders’ Cup Dash at six furlongs or the Large Ass Followers Grime Mile.
Within the case of Saturday’s version on the Belmont on the Large A (Aqueduct) meet, the winner will get an computerized berth within the Breeders’ Cup Dash, although the heavy favourite, Cody’s Want, is concentrating on the Grime Mile.
1. Nice Navigator (20-1 morning-line odds): New Jersey-bred put in an enormous effort final time to win a two-turn stakes at Monmouth Park, however the prospect of reducing again to a dash and the chance of a bounce work towards him.
2. Cowan (20-1): Received an allowance race at Charles City Races final day out after a 15 1/2-month layoff. The time was mediocre however he might take a step ahead right here. Whether or not that can be sufficient to make him aggressive on this subject is questionable.
3. Sheriff Bianco (10-1): New York state-bred is in sharp kind for main coach Linda Rice. He’s a reduce beneath Cody’s Want however has sufficient pace to complete within the cash.
4. Accretive (9-2): Was second within the Grade 2 Amsterdam Stakes to Gunite final yr as a 3-year-old. Spent 11 months on the sidelines earlier than returning with two 2023 allowance wins. Confirmed enchancment final time and appears like the largest menace to the favourite.
5. Excessive Oak (12-1): He ran within the Grade 1 Forego Stakes resulting from a small subject and wound up ending third behind a stablemate within the Invoice Mott barn. Faces the identical prospect right here with a unique Mott horse being a deserving favourite in a small subject.
6. Cody’s Want (1-5): He was 2-5 odds when third within the Whitney Stakes whereas stretching out to 1 1/8 miles and can most likely be despatched off at decrease odds right here. He received six straight stakes previous to the Whitney, together with the 2022 Grime Mile and the Hill ‘n’ Dale Metropolitan Handicap in June. That is only a prep for the Breeders’ Cup however the namesake for teenager Cody Dorman, who’s battling Wolf-Hirschhorn syndrome, has an enormous edge in school and pace figures over his rivals.
THE PICK: Cody’s Want
LIVE LONGSHOT: Excessive Oak