The race was downgraded to a Grade 2 this 12 months, which is unlucky for a historic race with a listing of previous winners that reads like a “who’s who” of horse racing: simply from 1974 to 1980 the race was received by Forego 4 occasions adopted by Seattle Slew, Affirmed, and Spectacular Bid.
The 2023 Woodward Stakes drew a area of 10 aiming so as to add their title to the historical past books alongside among the biggest Thoroughbreds to set foot on a racetrack.
Let’s take a better take a look at this 12 months’s entrants.
1. Cost It (7-2 morning-line odds): Led each step of the way in which in a dominant victory in July within the Suburban Stakes however couldn’t duplicate that effort when fourth, overwhelmed by 10 lengths, within the Whitney Stakes in August at Saratoga. Appears to be at his finest when capable of set or press the tempo and there seems to be loads of velocity to problem him right here. Gifted sufficient to win however unsure he’ll get the perfect journey.
2. Regulation Professor (12-1): Horse for course has two wins on this most important observe together with a second-place end within the 2022 Woodward in three makes an attempt at Aqueduct. There’s precipitation within the forecast and an off-track would actually enhance his probabilities.
3. Algiers (6-1): Ran second within the Dubai World Cup Sponsored by Emirates Airline in March and can make his stateside debut right here in his return from a six-month layoff. Warrants respect for those who consider he can run properly in return from prolonged break.
4. Zandon (2-1): Three runner-up finishes in as many begins this 12 months whereas dealing with elite competitors, however he was overwhelmed by 3 ¼ lengths or extra in all three races. Must be ample velocity to arrange this nearer’s ending kick and he has, previously, dealt with moist most important tracks. A prime menace.
5. Pipeline (20-1): Generated some buzz main into final 12 months’s Massive Ass Followers Breeders’ Cup Filth Mile however light late and was soundly defeated. Winless, and likewise soundly overwhelmed, in two begins this 12 months. Doesn’t compute.
6. Costa Terra (15-1): 4-year-old Gun Runner colt has improved considerably in his final three begins with a win and two shut seconds, however he’s unplaced and well-beaten in three earlier begins in graded stakes races. He’s a greater racehorse now, however the class hurdle shouldn’t be insignificant.
7. Un Ojo (30-1): One-eyed gelding captured the hearts of racing followers when profitable the $1 million Insurgent Stakes in February 2022. He’s winless in 5 races for the reason that Insurgent, however he has taken a pleasant step ahead in his final two begins, each runner-up finishes. Undecided he’s quick sufficient.
8. Tyson (5-1): A beast on all-weather surfaces, Tyson made his first begin on filth within the Grade 1 Jockey Membership Gold Cup Stakes Sept. 2 at Saratoga and completed third, overwhelmed by 2 ¼ lengths. That have on filth ought to assist him, and his career-best Equibase Velocity Determine got here at this 1 1/8-mile distance. A primary win candidate.
9. O’Connor (8-1): He has positioned in three straight graded stakes after a dud within the $3 million Pegasus World Cup Invitational Stakes Introduced by Baccarat to start his 2023 marketing campaign. Able to spicing up the exotics with a giant effort.
10. Movie Star (12-1): Movie Star makes his stakes debut right here. The handicapper on the native paper I grew up studying, The Information Journal, would word “in nice fettle” when a horse was in a very good groove, and that actually applies right here as this 4-year-old Flatter colt has posted back-to-back front-running wins at this 1 1/8-miles distance. He has three firsts and 5 seconds in eight begins since April. The one to catch.
THE PICK: Tyson
LIVE LONGSHOT: Movie Star