Arizona State vs. Georgia
- September 23, 2023
- Mona Plummer Aquatic Middle, Tempe, Arizona
- Quick Course Yards (25 yards), Twin Meet
- Outcomes on Meet Cellular: ASU vs UGA
- Group Scores
- Arizona State Males 183 – Georgia Males 117
- Georgia Girls 184 – Arizona State Girls 111
Arizona State enters the season with massive momentum and nationwide title hopes, and because of an enormous debut from freshman Ilya Kharun, these hopes appear much more reasonable after Saturday.
- Each groups had been fitted to the meet.
The Arizona State males, who completed 2nd eventually yr’s NCAA Championship meet, beat Georgia 183-117 on Saturday briefly course yards. The Georgia girls, in the meantime, dealt with the Solar Devils 184-111.
Kharun, a Canadian-born freshman from the Sandpipers of Nevada in Las Vegas, was electrical in his brief course debut for the Solar Devils.
He opened the meet by main Arizona State to a win within the 200 medley relay in 1:22.79. The relay of Jack Dolan (20.95 again), Leon Marchand (23.74 breast), Kharun’s 19.51 on the fly leg, and Jonny Kulow (18.59 free), the Solar Devils swam a time that may have positioned twelfth eventually yr’s NCAA Championship meet.
In actuality, the Solar Devils had been 2nd in that race at NCAAs. They return each leg besides their butterflier Max McCusker, so Kharun’s arrival comes proper on time.
Kharun is the #4 recruit within the class of 2023 and the perfect butterflier of the group. His 19.61 cut up would have been sooner at NCAAs final yr than all however two butterfly legs of the 200 medley relay.
That wasn’t the freshman’s solely massive swim. He swam 1:40.68 within the 200 fly, which ranks him Third-best in program historical past (behind Alex Colson’s 1:39.55 and Leon Marchand‘s 1:39.57 from final season). He additionally swam 44.88 within the 100 fly, changing into the primary Solar Satan underneath 45 seconds and breaking McCusker’s file of 45.01 set final season.
Each of these occasions had been wins and private bests for Kharun; Colson was Third within the 200 fly in 1:45.08.
Kharun completed his day with a 41.93 anchor on Arizona State’s 400 free relay, which gained in 2:48.49. Kulow, a US Nationwide Teamer after a breakout summer season, had the quickest cut up on that relay in 41.37.
Each Arizona State relays cleared NCAA ‘A’ requirements, which earns them invitations to the NCAA Championships – together with another relays that obtain no less than ‘B’ requirements (although that shouldn’t be a difficulty for the Solar Devils).
Marchand, in the meantime, gained a trio of particular person occasions as nicely. He led the 100 breast in 53.29, the 200 breast in 1:54.39, and the 200 IM in 1:42.35.
One of the best male swimmer within the NCAA final season, and one of many prime two swimmers on this planet, Marchand was significantly-faster right here than he was within the opening meet final yr. In that meet, he was 1:57.6 within the 200 breast and 1:44.3 within the 200 IM.
Marchand gained World Championships over the summer season within the 200 fly, 200 IM, and 400 IM, breaking Michael Phelps’ World Report within the 400 IM.
Georgia’s distance crew was a brilliant spot for the Bulldogs. Sophomore Sam Powe and senior Jake Magahey went 1-2 within the 1000 free, with Powe profitable in 9:06.93 and Magahey following in 9:08.45. They beat out Arizona State All-American Daniel Matheson, who was Third in 9:09.20.
Magahey was Third on the NCAA Championships final yr within the 1650 free; if the Bulldogs can get Powe into the factors this yr as nicely, that may be a giant carry to their NCAA outlook in a yr the place they don’t have nice dash depth.
Magahey grabbed a win within the 500 free on Saturday in 4:19.82.
- Georgia fifth yr Brad Dunham gained the 100 again in 45.56, main a 1-2 with Southern Illinois switch Ruard van Renen (45.94) for the Bulldogs. Dolan didn’t swim that race for Arizona State.
- Georgia swept the backstroke races, with Ian Grum profitable the 200 again in 1:41.25. That put him simply forward of the 2023 World Champion within the occasion Hubert Kos from Arizona State, who was 2nd in 1:41.38. The swim from Grum is a second higher than he was in a twin meet final season.
- Jack Dolan and Jonny Kulow battled within the males’s dash frees, with Dolan profitable the 50 in 19.16 to Kulow’s 19.31. Miles Simon led the Bulldogs in 19.83 in his first weekend of racing after transferring to Georgia from Howard, the place he was the NEC Champion final yr. Kulow bought revenge within the 100 free, profitable in 42.73 to Dolan’s 42.96. That’s Kulow’s finest time in a twin meet.
The Georgia girls return all however 1 level of their NCAA Championship particular person scoring output, and people returning scorers mixed for six particular person occasion victories on Saturday.
That was led by a trio of wins for fifth yr Zoie Hartman, who swam her NCAA occasion lineup towards Arizona State.
Hartman gained the 100 breast (1:01.13), the 200 breast (2:11.67), and the 200 breast (1:57.81) on Saturday, although she swam exhibition within the final occasion to mute the scoring hole between the groups.
That swim within the 200 IM for Hartman was considerably sooner than she was pre-invite final yr, the place she was swimming 1:59s and a pair of:00s within the occasion. After profitable the B Closing at NCAAs final yr, she’s in line for large factors with two swimmers who completed forward of her graduating.
Rachel Stege, the group’s prime scorer a yr in the past as a sophomore, gained the five hundred free on Saturday in 4:41.31. She was fifth in that occasion on the NCAA Championships, and her time on Saturday is already near what it’ll take for an NCAA invite this season.
The 1000 free noticed Stege battle along with her classmate Dune Coetzee, who was additionally an All-American within the distance freestyles final season. Coetzee got here away with the victory right here in 9:35.69, beating out Stege’s 9:37.37. Stege opened quick, swimming 4:47 on the 500, however Coetzee chipped away at that result in ultimately draw back for a win.
Jones’ time within the 50 free was just-short of her private finest of twenty-two.59 completed at Winter Juniors final yr.
Arizona State’s solely win (ignoring exhibitions) of the ladies’s meet got here from Lindsay Looney, who was a shock member of the US group on the World Championships this summer season. She swam 1:56.84 within the 200 fly on Saturday. 12 months-over-year, that’s an enormous enchancment for her – she swam 2:00 in her opener final season earlier than ending 4th on the NCAA Championships.
Looney positioned 2nd within the 100 fly in 54.14 behind Georgia’s Emma Norton (54.03).
This weekend is Looney’s first racing since putting eighth within the lengthy course 200 fly on the World Championships.
Different Outcomes and Notables:
- Eboni McCarty gained the 100 again for the Georgia girls forward of Arizona State’s Charli Brown. McCarty swam 52.60 and Brown 53.56.
- Georgia swept the backstrokes when Millie Sansome gained the 200 in 1:57.23. Brown was once more 2nd, this time in 1:59.14.
- The Georgia girls touched first within the 400 free relay in 3:16.20 with Jones having the highest cut up in 48.12. Arizona State completed behind them in 3:19.47.
- Georgia gained the 200 medley relay in 1:38.77. The again half of that relay is absolutely thrilling for the Bulldogs – Emma Norton, a sophomore, cut up 23.88 on the fly leg, which nearly matches Callie Dickinson’s cut up from NCAAs (Georgia was thirteenth); and Jones anchored in 22.26.