FLUSHING, N.Y., September 11, 2023 – Because the US Open celebrated the fiftieth Anniversary of Equal Prize Cash this 12 months, the 2023 occasion became a three-week-long celebration of unprecedented success, because the US Open set a three-week, Grand Slam attendance report, and once more surpassed all-time highs for ticket gross sales, meals and beverage and merchandise gross sales and digital and social media engagement. The entire above profit the continued progress of tennis in America, together with the newly introduced US Open Legacy Initiative.
Highlights from the 2023 US Open embrace:
On the Court docket
- Nineteen-year-old American Coco Gauff captured the hearts of America by successful her first main singles title, defeating Aryna Sabalenka in entrance of a report girls’s singles crowd of 28,143. Gauff is barely the third American teenager to win the US Open girls’s singles championship, becoming a member of Serena Williams (1999) and Tracy Austin (1979, ‘81), and her gutsy, come-from-behind performances – three victories coming after shedding the primary set – had solely been matched within the Open Period by Serena Williams in 1999.
- Novak Djokovic received his record-extending twenty fourth Grand Slam males’s singles title, defeating Daniil Medvedev. It’s the fourth US Open males’s singles title for the 36-year-old Serbian, who’s now the oldest males’s singles champion in US Open historical past. No different participant has received 24 Grand Slam singles titles within the Open Period (since 1968).
- People continued to set the tempo for the world at giant on the courtroom. Forty-three People competed within the males’s and girls’s singles important attracts on the US Open, capping a 12 months through which the U.S. led all nations in singles important draw individuals at each Grand Slam.
- 4 People reached the second week of the primary attract each males’s and girls’s singles, the primary 12 months for these numbers collectively since 2002. Three U.S. males – 25-year olds Taylor Fritz and Frances Tiafoe and 20-year-old Ben Shelton – additionally reached the quarterfinals, essentially the most on the US Open since 2005, whereas Shelton turned the youngest American US Open males’s semifinalist since Andy Roddick in 2002.
- Dutch wheelchair participant Diede de Groot received her sixth US Open singles title, tying Esther Vergeer’s report, and her twelfth consecutive wheelchair main, finishing three consecutive calendar-year Grand Slams. The US Open Wheelchair Championships contested the primary Wheelchair Grand Slam occasion the place all three grownup divisions – males’s, girls’s and quad – had 16 opponents within the singles discipline and eight groups within the doubles discipline.
- The US Open reached new heights for attendance in 2023, breaking its two- and three-week attendance data and changing into the primary Grand Slam to welcome greater than 950,000 spectators over a three-week interval.
- The US Open welcomed 957,387 followers over the 20 days encompassing the Most important Draw and Fan Week, a close to 8-percent improve over 2022.
- The US Open’s 2023 important draw attendance was a US Open report 799,402. All 25 periods in Arthur Ashe Stadium offered out for the second 12 months in a row.
- The primary six days of the primary draw have been the six highest-attended days in US Open historical past, whereas each the Males’s (28,804) and Ladies’s Championship (28,143) periods have been the highest-attended Championship periods in US Open historical past.
- The report Fan Week attendance of 157,985 outpaced 2022 by 41 p.c.
Digital and Social Progress
- The US Open’s digital platforms, powered by IBM, had a record-setting 12 months with site visitors of over 15 million distinctive gadgets throughout the occasion’s three weeks, a 17-percent improve over 2022.
- Whole interactions and views throughout the US Open’s official social media channels on Fb, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, TikTok and Snapchat reached over 1.5 billion engagements over Fan Week and the Most important Draw, an all-time excessive and 50-percent progress over 2022.
- Greater than 3 million distinctive gadgets considered information articles on USOpen.org and the US Open app by way of the three weeks of the occasion, a 40-percent improve over 2022.
- The US Open’s Champions of the Court docket expertise on Roblox had over 1.2 million whole visits in its first 18 days.
- Over 15,000 hours of US Open protection from all 951 competitors matches have been produced for broadcast on 50-plus channels in additional than 175 nations and territories.
- Home broadcast highlights from ESPN and its networks’ 2023 protection included practically 140 hours on TV, through ESPN and ESPN2, and stay protection on ABC on the center Sunday of the primary draw for the primary time ever.
- Greater than 1,000 hours of protection from all matches and courts streamed stay on the ESPNApp, throughout ESPN+ and ESPN3.
Rising the Sport
- The USTA dedicated $3 million — equaling the singles champions’ prize cash — to the refurbishment of as much as 200 courts throughout the nation in Coco Gauff’s identify as a part of the newly created US Open Legacy Initiative. In future circumstances of an American US Open Males’s or Ladies’s Singles Champion, the USTA will make the same dedication to advancing the USTA mission of selling and growing the expansion of tennis throughout the nation.
Celebrating 50 Years of Equal Prize Cash
- The celebration of the fiftieth Anniversary of Equal Prize Cash was a distinguished theme all through the occasion. Billie Jean King helped open the match, as a part of a robust Opening Night time ceremony that featured former First Woman Michelle Obama, and likewise closed it, handing off the Ladies’s Singles championship trophy to the youngest American US Open girls’s singles champion in 24 years.
- The celebration of equality additionally culminated with Champions of Equality, a Be Open occasion offered by Cadillac, that noticed King and Venus Williams earn particular recognition throughout a dynamic dialog with Basic Motors’ Chief Range, Fairness and Inclusion Officer Telva McGruder and famend broadcast journalist Christiane Amanpour. Sixteen pioneering girls from the USTA Sections have been additionally honored on the occasion for his or her management in selling equality on the grassroots ranges.